Poll
Question: If Atlantis had existed, where do you believe it is most likely located today?
South America - Mesopotamia, Argentina (Doug Fisher) 2 - (25%)
South America Altiplano, Bolivia (Jim Allen) 2 - (25%)
Antarctica (Rand & Rose Flem-Ath) 1 - (12.5%)
Black Sea (Christian and Siegfried Schoppe) 1 - (12.5%)
Submerged in the Atlantic Ocean (Mid) (Eastern) 1 - (12.5%)
Iceland 1 - (12.5%)
Ireland (Ulf Erlingsson) 0
Thera 0
South China Sea (Prof. Arysio Nunes dos Santos) 0
Cuba (Andrew Collins) 0
Cypress (Robert Sarmast) 0
Mexico 0
Other 0
Total Voters: 8

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
            Author                                        Posts          (Topic read 34184 times)
Paradigm shift happens.
Administrator

« on: May 02, 2009, 05:58:07 PM »
ReplyReply

Select your most favored theory on Atlantis.

If you have another theory, provide geographical site name, name of theorist and link to information and it will be added to the poll.

You can change your selection at any time as often as you like.

-Doug

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 10:58:12 AM »
ReplyReply

There's no "other" option...but I would say that the original legend of Atlantis is most likely based on an actual city that existed in Ancient times along the Black Sea...
Paradigm shift happens.
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 11:40:11 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi schatenjager,

I left 'other' out as I don't have the ability to keep it at the bottom as new sites are added to the list.

So is this the Romanian/Danube Delta theory and did I post the right link?

I am going to have to take a closer look at this theory.

-Doug

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 08:00:16 AM »
ReplyReply

I was referring specifically (I had to go home and look it up or I would have responded yesterday) to the theory that the Anatolian city of Tantalis (or Tantalus) was actually the source for the Solon's (and by extension Plato's) Atlantis legend. The theory is quite well explained in the Lost Lands and Catastrophe's section of Peter James' and Nick Thorpe's book "Ancient Mysteries".

This book takes the tactic, rather than trying to match specific pieces of description concerning Atlantis to specific features found geographically, of trying to track the most likely sources of the legend given the known world of Plato's time. While the theory is by no means absolutely proven, it does seem likely, given the facts...
Paradigm shift happens.
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 11:44:53 AM »
ReplyReply

Thanks,

There are way too many theories out there to keep up with. This is the third unique theory I have come across which involves the Black Sea.

I did find some info online just now regarding the theory you are referring to and I will check it out later today...hopefully. I have been way too busy lately.

Thanks again for the info,
Doug

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 12:58:56 PM »
ReplyReply

Well, you name a place on earth and i'm sure that someone, somewhere has at some time figured it to be Atlantis...
Paradigm shift happens.
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 07:11:59 PM »
ReplyReply

So I am finding out, but still it's pretty amazing that there are at least three posited sites for the Black Sea. I can definitely see the logic in it: The Bosporous as the Pillars of Hercules, the Black Sea as the 'harbor', and the Mediterranean as the 'real sea'. I found this on one of the Black Sea sites, but I assume that Peter James' and Nick Thorpe's work follows similar logic.

BTW, I changed the poll making a general 'Black Sea ' reference. Even added 'other'.

-Doug

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 08:31:23 AM »
ReplyReply

The idea, as I understand it, was to start with asking the question, where could Solon/Plato have heard the legend? The Egyptians were well known for believing that they were the oldest "race" on earth and it seems unlikely that they would be telling Solon about a culture even older than theirs, which would leave the Phrygians as the likely source. In their mythology, Tantalus was the equivalent of the Greek Atlas, who is considered the king of Atlantis. And so the theory goes from there.

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 08:35:00 PM »
ReplyReply

I'm leaning toward a combination of a land-bridge from Spain out to the vicinity of the Azores, which could have been a very large land mass during the ice age when sea levels were lower.  Volcanic action could have elevated a "bubble" in the igneous rock formed there, which "popped" at some point, possibly under the pressure of rising seas.  This would also place the sinking of Atlantis at roughly 9,000 BCE.

"By a route obscure and lonely, Haunted by ill angels only,
Where an Eidolon, named Night, On a black throne reigns upright,
I have reached these lands but newly From an ultimate dim Thule
From a wild weird clime, that lieth, sublime, Out of Space out of Time." --Edgar Allen Poe
Paradigm shift happens.
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 12:55:05 PM »
ReplyReply

Welcome aboard Ciggy!

The poll has been revised to fit your theory.

-Doug

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 01:42:16 PM »
ReplyReply

I'm glad! The poll proves my discovery about ten islands of sunken Atlantis!
The discovery is supported by all main ancient sources!
http://www.cosmogeology.ge/chapter.htm

K.L. Margiani
Tbilisi, Georgia

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 01:19:50 PM »
ReplyReply

My new vote is Iceland.   Shocked

Not that I think the Azores plateau theory impossible, but the linguistics have too many intriguing clues that hook into "Ultima Thule" which was the name for Iceland for so long.

Similar reasons as cited by K for the sinking, although obviously Iceland is above the surface (again) now.

From a wild weird clime, that lieth, sublime, Out of Space out of Time." --Edgar Allen Poe
Paradigm shift happens.
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 12:20:43 AM »
ReplyReply

Your proposed site of Iceland has been added to the poll.
Interesting, KM with a little twist.  Undecided

-Doug

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 07:58:30 AM »
ReplyReply

For Iceland I don't need six miles of land sinking to explain observable phenomenae.  The island is currently volcanic, and a number of minor sinkings and risings may have taken place over the past couple of thousands of years.  Ancient human access to the island may have been via ice bridge, and then a maritime culture could have sprouted if the place was wooded at the time.  Geothermal heating to keep forests alive is observable today in Kamchatka, where vulcanism and hot springs maintain the life of a lot of flora that would ordinarily die out at that latitude.  It could also have preserved conditions that closely match the descriptions of Hyperborea, the "Land Beyond the Snows", being north beyond the ice and snow and yet relatively temperate as far as local conditions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thule

Writer, Software Engineer, Artist

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 10:30:37 PM »
ReplyReply

Hello, this is my first post on this Forum and I'm glad to be here.

I think the Atlantic Ocean category is awfully big. According to Wikipedia, the Atlantic is 106,400,000 sq.km. Asia is only a puny 44,579,000 sq.km, which is less than half! The Mediterranean is only 2,500,000 sq.km (less than 3% of the Atlantic) and it has how many "locations" of Atlantis (at least 5 by my count off the top of my head)?

Plato's original definition of Atlantis was that of an island which stretched from just outside Gibraltar (facing Gadira [modern Cadiz, Spain]) into the Atlantic Ocean. Because of the size (equal to ancient Libya and Asia Minor combined; possibly 1-2 x the size of Texas), Atlantis likely included at least part of the Azores and possibly a small part of the mid-Atlantic Ridge (and the Azores archipelago straddles the ridge, anyway).

If any location should be listed, it would have to be one describing Plato's definition for Atlantis (in my not-so-humble opinion). (Honest, I tried to be humble, but it didn't work.)

How would you word this location? Perhaps: Outside Gibraltar to Azores.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: